Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Show & Tell

Here's what's been keeping me busy.  First is my Halloween sign which I made to decorate the booth - but liked so well it's still sitting on my mantle :) Actually everything here was made for the booth but hasn't made it out yet.  Although the colors don't show up well in the picture they actually glow against the wood.  The wreath was a garage sale grapevine that I wrapped with burlap and stuck in a few leaves, then some more -- then a couple of dried hydrangeas I had sprayed gold - then it took on a life of it's own.  A trip around the back yard to gather some foliage, a quick spray with gold paint, a la Martha Stewart, lol, some ribbon from the dollar store and I had a wreath.  I had tried a project I'd seen someplace, a jute twine pumpkin.  The idea was to soak the jute in glue, wrap it around a jar, let it dry overnight and the next day slide it off, clip the ends together and use a cinnamon stick for a stem.  It was a cute idea and looked OK, but didn't really have a place for it so undid it and had about 20'+ of curly jute twine.  Had some fall leaves I'd gotten half off a few weeks ago so glued them along the twine and wrapped it around the wreath and the excess along the mantle.  Hmmm, I'm liking this.  A little gold velvet pumpkin I made last month, some brass candlesticks...just need to pick up some black candles to finish it off.  I may enjoy it a week or so and take it to the booth, or maybe I'll keep it here and think of something else to decorate the antique booth.  I've had the leaves wrapped around the sign but wanted you to be able to see the words.  A few tea lights at night really sets it off.
Here's a closeup of the little velvet pumpkin and the leaf garland from the jute twine.
Next a quick look at the little cabinet I purchased a few months ago and painted yellow, it's Valspar Whipped Apricot although I called it yellow till I saw the color name :)  It looked a little plain so added some scrapbook paper inside to liven it up.  My preference would be to add a graphic on the top or something on the door, but it's one of those pieces that would work in different rooms so I decided to wait, if it doesn't sell fast I may change my mind.  Since it's not actual wood it didn't distress well so repainted and let it be.


The little chair was from a church rummage sale,  They were blond wood and I first painted it AS white and waxed it.  It sat here a few weeks till I decided to paint pink polka-dots on it -- do you know how hard it is to get good polka-dots?  I wanted very clean, defined edges - and since I had problems with that, I decided to paint pink stripes, straight lines I could do.  But a couple of days later DH brought home some more Valspar, one in a Berry Frost and I loved the bright color so out came the little white chair for a makeover.  I'm going to do a stencil along the back in apple green and think I'm going to do the other chair green as soon as it's ready to paint.  Needs a repair we didn't see till we got it home.  

Magnetic Memo Board from a garage sale tray.  Cleaned off the rust spots, painted the rim blue, chalkboard for the center and because it was so hard to get a defined edge I added some pearl trim. Not sure if I'd do that again.  Glued a magnet to an old silver spoon, tied a black bow around it and added some bling.  I'll write something on it before I take it out for display.  I've seen lots of big silver trays done this way but I never seem to find them...same with picture frames.  Where are all the big, ornate ones people pick up for a $1 or so????


Last one for today.  Not sure these memo boards are as popular as they were last year but since I had everything here, including one last coffee bag, I made one more.  If it doesn't sell DH will be more than happy to bring it home :)  He wanted to keep one last Christmas but they went fast.

I'm trying to finish up projects I already have on hand and/or have all the necessary supplies to make. They accumulate so fast and tend to get scattered here and there.  I want to get my supplies organized before Christmas.  Once the bad weather gets here I have to work inside and it's much easier if everything is organized and in it's place!!

                                     ......till next time, jan