Thursday, October 24, 2013

Annie Sloan Tips

Finally was able to take an Annie Sloan class last night, we now have a stockist in Springfield so I don't have to drive 100 miles to buy paint.  Met some fun women, most who had driven from neighboring towns to attend the class.  Since I've been using AS chalk paint for a year now I was already familiar with the basic techniques - but did pick up a few new ones I thought I'd share.

Did you know....you can wash your AS brushes in the washing machine?
...that the best way to apply the paint is in X's and brush?  (Contrary to what I thought I'd been told)
...that you should occasionally use some hair conditioner to condition your brushes?
...that if you forget and leave your brush out - or the lid off the can - no harm done?  Just gather the icky stuff around the top of the can, push it down into the can with your brush then stand your brush in the can.  In about an hour your paint will have magically re-homoginized and your brush will be soft and usable.

We did samples and I got to try their Craqueler.   I'm not a big fan of the crackle technique but have to admit it looked nice.  I used Old Ocher over a Coco base (one of my fave combos) and applied the Craqueler very thinly, then a light coat of dark wax.  It did not photograph well so no pictures. I did splurg on a jar of Gilding Wax.  I usually use Rub 'n Buff but this went on like silk and you could buff it out, take it off or add more with no problems.  I would love to have a jar of the copper and silver but those will have to wait.  As much as I like the Annie Sloan products, they are expensive.
                                                                                               
                                                                                                                             ...till next time, jan