Saturday, October 19, 2013

Current projects, slow progress.

It's slow but it is progress.  As they looked a couple of weeks ago -- the chair, the bench and dresser.



The dresser will be set aside for now but the chair is underway.  Stripped of two layers of upholstery and checked out, it's OK to go ahead without having to make any repairs, just fresh batting.  Off I went to the fabric store(s), the fabric outlet, got a few samples, any of which would work but I wanted something to jump out and call my name.


Stopped at Hobby Lobby on my way home, walked through the fabric and there it was!  Didn't know what I wanted till I saw it but it's beautiful!   Hmmm, oh my, much more than I wanted to pay.  Isn't it always like that?  Got a sample though and guess what?  It looked even better in my living room, LOL. 

Now decision time.  Am I going to paint the chair?  Refinish the wood?  Leave it like it is??  The wood is in good condition just, well, boring :)  Pulled out my Annie Sloan paint samples and believe it or not, the Chateau Grey is perfect with this fabric. Chateau Grey is almost a sage color, and it brought out the little bit of green that I'd not even noticed.  But maybe a glossy black would look better so back to my test boards. No, it's definitely the CG; I have the paint and the best way to decide is to actually see it, so painted one arm.  DH is very doubtful but you have to envision how it will look painted, and waxed :)  If I put this chair in the booth, I have to ask more to cover the cost of the fabric, will everyone love the colors like I do?  Would  it be better to go with an off white paint and fabric that is nice and 1/4th the cost?  Have to mull this over.

Back to the bench. Even with my finger in the picture you can get an idea of how it looks.  Last week I posted I loved the chippy, yellow color.  But can't find a fabric that looked good with the color, not in my stash and not in the stores.  But did fall in love with a black and white polka dot, which would look super with a glossy black finish.  Got to work tearing off all the layers of fabric and batting, and found it was not in the best shape.  I even suspect this might have been a chair that someone made into a bench.  Actually that's a good idea :) but the chippy finish is worse than I thought, so much so that it would require mega sanding and filling for a glossy finish.  So...... did some minor sanding and repainted it yellow, a touch of dark wax will soften the look.  What I call yellow is really Valspar Whipped Apricot, can't imagine how they get Apricot but I love the color. Now inspiration strikes, I'll bet the yard and a half fabric I need for the chair will be enough to cover the bench too!  Laid it out and yes!  Now I can justify the cost :)  But...but...I just painted it yellow.....decisions, decisions. As soon as I know what I decide I'll let you know.

                                                                                                                           till next time, jan