Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Busy, Busy, Busy

We're constantly on the move right now, either buying for the antique booth, refinishing things we bought and/or spending time working in the booth.  As things sell, new items need to be brought in and the merchandise rearranged often, and speaking of selling, the first pumpkin to sell was the burlap with the burlap bow - which was my favorite.  I'm not sure I'll ever get over that feeling of selling something I really like -- even though I make them to sell, LOL.  I have several new ones to take out today, different ones so not sure I have a favorite among them.  Maybe the purple velvet with pearls, the teal velvet still needs a little bling, but I also like the big one made from upholstery fabric in gold, brown and greens.  Very fall looking.

Along with antiques, we are trying to stay up on our house and gardens.  The unusual weather pattern we've had this year is continuing to do everything except what's normal.  Consequently, we've had to adjust our routine.  After an unusually cool summer, it turned hot just long enough for a few tomatoes to ripen --- along with fleas.  No fleas all year and now when they should be going away they pop up.  With all these animals we have to stay on top of them, inside as well because several of the cats are strictly inside kitties. 

My big news is I finally found the perfect piece to use for display in the booth.  It's an old sideboard, and I do mean old.  Had been left in a barn for who knows how long and needed a lot of work!  But, it's finally done and ready to take out today.  We're both so pleased with it....my husband who voiced his concern early and often is my biggest supporter and now he loves it. It's so satisfying to take something that is falling apart, dried out, full of wasps nests and spiders....see the potential in it and bring it out.  The hitchhikers are gone, the wood gleams, the mirror shines, the drawers are lined with rose scented liner and for the little pieces that couldn't be repaired - my husband made new ones.  I think secretly he wishes we were going to keep it in our own home.  It wasn't easy work, for days I couldn't get the wax and stains off my hands and pretty nails are a thing of the past.  Muscles ached, my hands hurt from all the cleaners I had to use before I even started on the restoration.  But today she will move to her new home.  Yes, she.  Only a female could start out like that and end up looking gorgeous LOL. Pictures will follow once it's in place.
                                                                                                                        ...till next time, jan