Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Kinsleigh is here!

We have a new baby in the family, her name is Kinsleigh Paige and she arrived late yesterday afternoon.  I'm excited about having a baby close enough to sew for.  There are so many cute items that weren't around when I was having babies. You saw the quilt I made earlier, which has a double lining of Warm & Natural since she is a fall & winter baby and will need the extra warmth to be out and around in our cold winter.  The other items I finished and sent to the hospital for her Mother to enjoy were reversible receiving blankets, and matching burp pads :) The receiving blankets use square pieces of fabric so I had a strip left over from each length of flannel.  We always used a clean diaper over the shoulder, but I see on-line that burp pads and changing pads are popular now.  The extra strips were just the right size to make matching reversible pads to use after feeding the baby.

I came across the pattern for the reversible, self-binding baby blankets on-line.  The instructions are from the Missouri Quilt CO and you can watch the video Here.  It's called the 10 minute baby blanket and once you master it, it is, but the first ones take a little longer.  The trick is learning to make the 45 degree angle at the corners.  You fold the corner back on itself, not on the blanket.  If you have any trouble just send send me an e-mail and I'll send some detailed instructions.